Who Uses Shared Lives

Adult Placements suit anyone who needs support and/or care from another person in their day-to-day living. This can range from people who need constant support to people who just need to know that there is someone there for them. They could be an older person, someone with physical disabilities, mental health problems or learning disabilities, or someone who misuses substances. For many reasons, such as ill health or the death of elderly parents, some people may not be able to continue living at home and wouldn’t wish to live in residential care. Living or staying with an approved Adult Placement Carer would therefore give the person an opportunity to remain in a home environment.

It is hoped that people seeking accommodation with the service will be matched with Adult Placement Carers as near to their natural home as possible, so that they can maintain contacts with their family and friends, and continue with their usual daytime and social activities. Some people will receive day services; others may go to work or college.

If you are over the age of 18, perhaps have a disability, you’re an older person or can be described as a vulnerable adult, then you may be able to use services provided by the Adult Placement Scheme/Service.